Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11-remembrance and prayer

"You stay the same through the ages, Your love never changes...Your Love never fails"
10 years ago today I was awakened by a frantic call from my friend Portia who was at that time living in the UK. She asked me if was safe and okay and I had no idea what she was talking about until she told me that the US was under attack and to turn the TV on. That was the beginning of a scary, shocking and sad day. I had nightmares for at least a month and had to stop watching the news after awhile. To see such evil, destruction, despair and almost 3000 lives lost in an instant is something too awesome to comprehend. Getting on a plane to the UK five months later ( portia and sam as my amazing hosts) and Zimbabwe a week and a half later was pretty nerve racking. Things had definitely changed.
Watching all the documentaries and stories 10 years later, carrying a child who will be born in September as a second generation American, reliving such evil has affected me more poignantly than I expected. But as the worship songs and message at church conveyed today..God is still on the throne. That gives me comfort and keeps the nightmares at bay, and instead I feel sad yes, but grateful.
Today Lord I pray for all the family members of those that lost their lives 10years today. I pray that you may embrace them in your loving arms. That you may cover them with a peace that surpasses all understanding. I pray for the families of those who've lost their lives in the war in an effort to protect the rest of us from the knowledge of or the experience of more evil. I pray for the leaders in the country, the FBI, CIA and all agencies that worked and have worked to keep us safe. I pray that you may continue to give them wisdom to do what you have called them to do, at the risk of losing their lives. I pray that we may honor the lives lost by honoring You and the lives that you have blessed us with.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment