Sunday, May 13, 2012

power of mother

"Her children rise up and call her blessed"Prov 31:28

your grandma once said I had been a challenging child-I'd like to use the word spirited:)-it would've been culturally applauded and encouraged for her to beat that spirit out of me, but instead she let me be, let me grow into my own. a gift that I'll always appreciate. especially now as the mother of a rather spirited baby I know what it'll mean to you later in life to have that spirit!

I was named Ibvisai after my grandmother (grandpa's mother-we called her mbuya). I always loved her gift of storytelling, and how when she walked into a room she didn't wait to be directed where to sit but positioned herself where she felt most comfortable. she was a strong personality whose words deeply affected those around her, good and bad. she used that influence one day to unwittingly change her granddaughters lives. as my aunts were giving grandpa their opinions on why auntie Chenai shouldn't move to America-she's only 18, she's too young; what if she gets pregnant; you can't expect her brother ( uncle Shingi was here first) at only 20 to take care of her blah blah blah-. mbuya, who  was in the room crocheting-a favorite pastime) stopped (rare occurrence) and said "she'll be fine, she's just like me, she can handle it". and that was it! grandpa and his brother uncle daniel did what needed to be done and off to the US auntie Chenai came and because of auntie Chenai  I and auntie Danai came. so because of mbuya  I'm your mother and humbled by that gift.

In 2002 i visited Zim and gogo(grandma's mother) who was now living with my your grandparents had been ill the whole time. my visit had included a couple of doctor and hospital visits with her since your grandparents had to work. we spent a great deal of time together and she held my hand a lot more than before. on the day I left to come back we said our goodbyes in her room, and then as I was walking out the door to the car, she came shuffling over as fast as her sick body could, got on her knees with her head at my feet and said a quiet prayer. that was the last time I saw her alive. I don't know what she prayed but I still feel the power of that prayer 10 years later

these are just a glimpse of the power of mothers that i have experienced that I pray I can halfway emulate. I hope years later you will understand the power of a mother's love that lasts past their lifetime. that you will ALWAYS know that I am because of the foundation and example of the mother's before me, but I am even more since I became your mother. I've never felt stronger, more powerful, confident, more determined to fulfill than I have these last 7months.
thank you for choosing me to be your mother. It's truly the greatest honor of my life.

Happy Mother's Day to you Gogo, Mbuya, and  Mommy!
baby bebe

mommy bebe

No comments:

Post a Comment