Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day


So today is Father's Day. A day set aside to celebrate the wonderful men that we call dad, uncle and brother. Today is mommy's first Father's Day since your grandfather died. I feel sad, but i feel more gratitude that i got to have such an amazing man to call father. Most of who mommy is today is because of your grandfather. He was the first man who loved me unconditionally, believed in me beyond my wildest dreams, taught me to be a strong, confident, to love my family even when it hurts and so much more. Most of these lessons were learnt by watching him with other people. Another favorite were the car rides we would have. If he saw me bumming around the house and he had business car trip he'd tell me, not ask me, that i was going with him. I didn't mind because we always had the best time talking about everything. Seriously the rides were like a history, geography, english and psychology class rolled in one. The best part though was we would always stop at these cool curios stores on the side of the road, and he'd buy me something as a memento of our trip and some yummy food. Curios stores are little stores made of wood/plank that sell African artifacts, fabric etc. You'll see them one day when we take you to Zim. 

It was important that he was never forgotten and that's why your second name is Clementine after him Clemence Vama. Your cousin Ari has his second name Vama. Your names mean Grace and i believe your were conceived through God's grace. In the midst of the grief and confusion of losing your grandfather we found out a month and 18days after that we were having you. You are God's saving grace for your mommy. Your daddy felt the same way and so from the beginning we have felt you were God reminding us how big and gracious he is, was and will always be.

When i met your dad on our first date which happened to be a blind date i knew he was a special man. And i also knew he was a man i could introduce to my dad. They did meet and only knew each other for two weeks but it was love at first car ride from LAX. Your grandfather was a hard man to impress, but he loved your dad instantly. I know how can you blame him right? In those two weeks before our wedding watching my two guys together made me feel a surge of emotions that cannot be put into words. I had always thought I'd have to convince your grandfather to accept whoever i married, and constantly have to apologize to my fiance for your grandfather's sometimes overbearing/commanding ways. I didn't have to do either. My dad and your dad loved and respected each other. Two men of great character, amazing hearts and deep love of family recognized each other and even though they lived on different continents they continued to affect each other. When your grandfather was buried he wore the suit  your dad bought him to give me away to your father on our wedding day. Until his end our dads love each other. And i know that you will be deeply affected by the deep and intense love that your dad has for you. You will be a "productive member of society" mostly because of your dad.

"Happy Father's Day? that's stupid I'm your father everyday" Clemence Vama.. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment