Friday, December 6, 2013

'..bring him back home to Soweto..'

my whole childhood I heard songs that have stayed with me still like ' bring back Nelson Mandela bring him back home to Soweto. I want to see him walking down the streets of Africa..' So when the announcement of his death flashed on a screen in a store as we walked by, nai nai & I couldn't help but sing that song. 

Nelson Mandela was the hero of the end of Apartheid. He was imprisoned for 27years because he didn't want people who look like us to be second class citizens. because we're not. 
visiting his old cell


now if you babes were to vacation in South Africa, you can choose any hotel, restaurant or bathroom. as a child vacationing in South Africa I couldn't do that. I'll never forget the day he was freed. February 11, 1990. I was at boarding school and all classes, study time everything was cancelled that day. I was 13 years old. I remember walking alone to the announcement board by the classrooms. It was quiet and I just stood there and read the article over and over again. Mandela is Free! Over and over I just stood there and read it. it was a very good day for me & Africa
                     FREE

I have had this posted quote in a bathroom, a closet a dresser for some years now. It was said by Marianne Williamson but was beautifully repeated by Nelson Mandela. For me him saying it, just resonated more. 


 And I can honestly say Nelson Mandela had a huge lifelong impact on my life. Thank you Mr Mandela for fighting for my rights without ever knowing me. I've always loved you since I understood. You make me proud to be an African, just like you. RIP. 

No comments:

Post a Comment